Wednesday, November 12, 2008

WFMW + Wear Baby = Be Happy

What is Babywearing?
“Babywearing” simply means holding or carrying a baby or young child using a baby carrier. Holding babies is natural and universal; baby carriers make it easier and more comfortable, allowing parents and caregivers to hold or carry their children while attending to the daily tasks of living. Babywearing helps a new dad put a fussy newborn to sleep. It allows a new mom use both hands to make a sandwich. It lets an experienced parent or caregiver carry a baby on her back and wash the dishes, do the laundry, take a hike, weed the garden … all while keeping the baby safe and content.



Today is the first day of International Babywearing Week, so I thought it would be an extra great time to share about why I love babywearing!
First of all, let's dispel a few myths about wearing your baby!
Here is a description of the various kinds of baby carriers (with pros and cons of each), and here is a post I made this morning on my etsy blog of some awesome carriers available on etsy right now!
I've posted about babywearing several times before, with such posts as "The NINO Principle" "A Dozen Reasons to have a Ring Sling" and "Priceless." I don't know that I have a whole lot more to say for myself, but I wanted to share a short list of the benefits of wearing your baby:
Happier Babies they do cry less!
Healthier Babies they tune into the caregivers heartbeat, breathing rhythm, and body movement, all of which help the child to regulate his own. Premature babies who are worn develop faster and are healthier than those who are not worn.
Confident Babies the constant contact helps the baby feel safe and secure. They are often able to let the caregiver know what they need without resorting crying, which increases their trust in us and, in turn, our confidence in ourselves.
Happier Parents rates of postpartum depression are lower in mothers who wear their babies.
Loving Parents wearing little ones promotes bonding, and helps establish a stronger relationship between parent and child.

Confident Parents
they are literally in touch with the child, and are therefore more sensitive to his needs
.
Comfortable and Convenient there is no massive carseat or stroller to lug around, and I can still do almost all of my normal chores with the kiddo on me. Using a two-shoulder carrier such as a wrap or ABC spreads his weight around so that he is easier to carry than if I held him in my arms. (Most moms also find they can nurse while babywearing, making it possible to get stuff done even while nursing!)
Here is a 6-page fact-sheet about babywearing, and here is some scientific research about the benefits of babywearing.

Please be aware that just because the child is next to you doesn't mean you don't need to pay attention to them--in rare cases small babies have suffocated when they were not yet old enough to turn their heads up to breathe, and larger babies have arched out of carriers when they were not sufficiently secured. Always pay attention to your child, even when wearing them!



For more Works for me Wednesdays, go here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a note to my new visitors today, I wanted to let you know that on Thanksgiving Day I'll be posting 365 things I'm thankful for (one for each day of the year). It's a carnival, so I'd love for you to make a list of your own and come link with us! Happy Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

Jeni said...

Thanks for posting this info - especially the links. I'm pregnant with #2, and I think I'll practice babywearing this time.

Michelle said...

Oh yea! My son cried all the time so if I hadn't worn that boy and slept with him...oh my. I would have pulled my hair out.

Samurai Mom said...

He, I made a babywearing post today. Is there a central site for posts honoring Babywearing week?

Jenni said...

Samurai Mom--I know that at adventuresinbabywearing.com she's hosting a blog carnival for favorite babywearing photos. It's also a giveaway for a sling, but I since I've got plenty of slings I figured if I won I'd just give mine to someone who needed it...you could link to her though.
I'm not aware of anywhere else though...

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

Great babywearing post - happy int'l babywearing week! ;) Thanks for the link to the Etsy carriers, I'm almost afraid to look...it's a bit addictive, buying carriers, no?

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...