Therefore, in spite of what some of my readers may think about the following information, I choose to share with you about my faith.
I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Yes it's a long name--we often refer to ourselves as LDS (short for Latter-Day Saints, with the term 'saints' meaning that we're members of Christ's church, not that we think we're perfect or anything!) You may be more familiar with us as "Mormons."
There are a lot of misconceptions about our religion, and I hope that those who visit my blog will be able to see a more truthful perspective. In addition, here is the official church website, and Mormon.org, an informational site designed for informational purposes for those not of our faith. Like any organized group, we have some of our own lingo. I usually try to link things when I post about them, but if you ever feel lost, feel free to utilize this glossary.
We believe that we belong to the same church that Christ established during His mortal ministry. For a short, sweet, and to-the-point list of our basic beliefs, I recommend reading The Articles of Faith. I am a lifelong member of the church, but spent some time in my college years learning about other religions and reaching my own conclusions--which were that this was the right faith for me. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to ask me! I try to be very knowledgeable about the religion I belong to, and if I don't know the answer off the top of my head I will go hunt it down for you!
Last year I wrote a short bulleted list with A Few Facts about my Faith. You might also like to check out my "I'm a Mormon" profile.
I've written a number of posts about a few specific topics relating to faith in general, or to LDS doctrine or practice in specific. (and I'll update this list as I write others--those not linked are ones I have started writing but not published yet)
- Why Bad things happen to Good people
- Prepare Every Needful Thing (food storage and other mormon habits)
- Fear and Faith
- Finding the Way
- Christ Conquers
- Thoughts on Hope
- Thoughts on Grace
- Thinking about Eve
- Speak the Name [of God]
- Why big families?
- Why Mormons build Temples
- California's Proposition 8 (the church & same-sex marriage) (If you follow the comments, you will note that my feelings on this issue have shifted since I first wrote the post in 2008)
- Abortion (this is my personal perspective, but strongly influenced by Church teachings)
- Cults (and a little about polygamy) or, no, we're not with Warren Jeffs
- The Trinity
- Motherhood, an eternal partnership with God
- Why mothers belong at home
- Infant Baptism--why we don't
- Relief Society (women's organization) theme, and associated posts
- We are beloved spirit daughters of God, And our lives have meaning, purpose, and direction.
- As a worldwide sisterhood, we are united in our devotion to Jesus Christ, our Savior and Exemplar.
- We are women of faith, virtue, vision, and charity
- Increase our testimonies of Jesus Christ through prayer and scripture study
- Seek spiritual strength by following the promptings of the Holy Ghost.
- Dedicate ourselves to strengthening marriages, families, and homes.
- Find nobility in motherhood and joy in womanhood.
- Delight in service and good works.
- Love life and learning.
- Stand for truth and righteousness.
- Sustain the priesthood as the authority of God on earth.
- Rejoice in the blessings of the temple, understand our divine destiny, and strive for exaltation.
- As Sisters in Zion
2010 and onward~
At this point I want to state that my faith is a process. My journey is within Mormonism, but not always on the mainstream LDS path. Some of the things I share about my journey be be troubling to some (including, probably, most of my LDS leaders). However, in the interest of honesty and authenticity, because I believe that it is important for the world (including Mormons) to realize that there is not just one kind of Mormon, and also because I know that I am not the only one on this journey, I choose to share it with you. (These posts are sequential, though you don't necessarily have to read them that way, they might make more sense if you do.)
- Oh Say What is Truth
- An Integrated Path (melding mormonism with paganism)
- The Dance of the Dissident Daughter (book review)
- I can't just turn off my brain
- Going to the Temple (seeking answers, and finding some)
- Myth and Truth (the validity of non-literal belief in scripture)
- Thoughts on spiritual transitions
- Finding the Feminine Divine
- In Defense of Orthopraxy in times of Doubt
- Lights in the Sky
- I'm a Universalist
- I'm a Big Tent Mormon
- "...or whether I speak of myself" (deciphering what is gospel and what is opinion)
- Embracing Faith Transition
- Everything is Holy Now
- Of Iron Rods and Liahonas (the letter of the law and the spirit of the law)
- In which I worry people...again
- I believe...help thou my unbelief
- One Eternal Round
- Finding the Way
- Agency and Obedience
- What I Know