Thursday, March 5, 2009

In Which Things Become Complicated...

I really enjoyed being pregnant with the Bear. Sure, I had the morning sickness ikkies, but they mostly involved feeling tired and a bit nauseous; I rarely actually threw up and I wasn't sleeping on the bathroom floor or carrying baggies with me everywhere. By week 14 or so that had passed, and by week 16 I could feel the little guy start to move. In the last couple of weeks it got harder to sleep comfortably and sometimes I had to get up in the night to pee... But for the most part, I loved being pregnant. I loved feeling a little one inside me moving around. I loved talking to him and singing to him. I loved how easy it was to care for him while he was in-utero (no crying, no diapers!) I loved knowing that pretty soon he'd be out to play.
So, this morning when I saw that a friend of mine had joined the facebook group "We love/loved being pregnant" I clicked the button to join up too. Of course when one does this, the message goes up to all your friends "Jenni has joined the group 'We love/loved being pregnant' [and also another group which has no bearing on this story]."
Apparently this was interpreted by many as an announcement that I was pregnant. It was not intended to be an announcement, but people took it as such. (Argh, dumb ol facebook!)

Here is the real complication, you see, because just yesterday I found out something:

For all the assuming about the announcement that I wasn't trying to make...y'all were actually right. So while I was here at home, oblivious to my little faux-pas, Hubby was at work on a break (for his planning period) and one of our mutual facebook friends saw him online and utilized the chat feature to ask him straight out if we were expecting. Hubby, caught off-guard, didn't reply with a vague "why do you ask?" but surmised that I must have said something, and so confirmed the fact. Then he called me and told me that I'd better call our folks NOW so that they heard it from us and not via the grapevine.
Oops.
So much for waiting a couple of weeks before telling everyone. Last time we waited until 10ish weeks (at Hubby's request) but my own inclination has always been to tell right away, so in spite of it being inadvertent, I guess this time we did it my way.


So, yes, a new Wild Thing is anticipated to arrive in November. My long-term readers know that this is something very planned and long-awaited (although November's birthstone is not one I'd have picked for my mother's ring...but neither are June or January, so oh well!). I'm thrilled at the news in spite of being caught slightly off-guard--I rather thought we'd missed the timing on this one with Hubby being out of town earlier this month combined with my anything-but-usual cycle schedule due to last month's craziness. We are discussing an appropriate animal nickname/totem for this one, so we can start calling him/her something. Hubby suggested Orca (I think because our Alaskan wildlife calendar had a Bear, then a Wolf, and march is an Orca), but I vetoed any blubber-heavy creatures. I'm leaning toward Lynx or Hawk...maybe Tiger or Eagle. I'm open to suggestions of course (it has to be high on the food chain, a creature with characteristics worth emulating, and yes, it should be beautiful ☺).

36 comments:

Katrina said...

Hey! Wow! What a fabulous, inadvertent "mistake." I'll be praying--really hard--that it sticks this time.

Kate said...

Yay!

Maggie said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Quinn said...

Wonderful news. Congratulations.

And sending you lots of sticky baby thoughts.

Stick baby Stick. Grow big and strong and healthy.

Going Full Hippie said...

AAAH! Congratulations, I am sooo excited for you. I got all warm and happy, and it isn't even my pregnancy! I'm gonna say it again, YAY!

Hmmm, a totem? I like Eagle, that's very strong, very Alaskan, and very gender friendly.

Kelly said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you!!!

Jennifer said...

Ok first off, CONGRATS!!! Wow, that's awesome! Secondly, HA! so your little calculations and calendar things aren't always right now are they ;o) Just goes to show... haha!

Third... Dang facebook!

And fourth, I great topic from this (when to tell!)

Congrats again!

Jenni said...

I'm already working on a post about when to tell. LOL!!! I had started on it last month actually. :)

Actually, temping and charting is very reliable, but since I was post-miscarriage it wasn't a normal cycle, and since I have a toddler who sometimes nurses at night and sometimes does not, my temps are not always consistent (because my sleep patterns are not consistent), so that also threw a corkscrew into things. I had a pretty good hunch of which day I ovulated, but I knew I might be off by a day or two. So when I took the test I *thought* I was a day late but I wasn't completely sure...and that test turned awfully fast. :)

Becky N. said...

Wow, Jenni!! I saw that Facebook thing earlier today and thought nothing of it. And now this!

I don't have a lot of time to comment. I'm *supposed* to be getting ready for hosting preschool tomorrow at my house. I'm procrastinating. But I have to say congratulations! And of course I hope and pray that this one will stick with you till the end! Here's to a November baby!!

RasJane said...

Yay! Yay! Yay!
Lots of stickies to you. You know I've got my fingers crossed at least as hard as anyone else for you.
Giant Hugs!

sara said...

Congratulations! I am so extremely happy for you! I love the eagle nickname too ;) And I'm a November baby and so was my first. NOT my favorite birthstone either but it is so lovely that you get to add another one :) Congrats again!

Nemmer said...

Yay, Jenni! Congratulations! FWIW, I like sea otters, so I vote for Otter.

Marly said...

Wait a second, didn't I say something about that? I swear I was talking to you about it and you said it wouldn't be good timing. Here's to us both getting pregnant when we thought we wouldn't :) Congratulations! I'm so excited for you.
I've been playing with mothers ring web sites :) I've been teaching the boys that one year for mothers day they're going to surprise me with one.

Stacy said...

Congratulations Jenni! Wow Wow! I love my November baby- it was a great time to be pregnant. I'm so happy for you!

Colored With Memories said...

many congrats! facebook starts all sorts of trouble ;)

Anonymous said...

HUZZAH! I'm so happy for you!!

Mae said...

Congrats! I vote for the Lynx. It can be both very feminine and very masculine. And as much as I hero-worship good ol' Ben Frank, I'm not a fan of the turkey. Even though I call my niece that occasionally.

Monkey is always good, multigender...although it's begging the Lord to give you a climber and THAT is something I had never experienced until nephew #3. Whoo!

Congrats again and I'll keep you guys in my prayers so that you can relax and enjoy this one without too much worry!

Elizabeth said...

Congrats Jenni, I was excited to hear your news. Good luck with everything. If you knew it was going to be a girl, I'd nickname her Hummingbird- the Native Americans of the Alaskan/WA area do beautiful hummingbird art. There's the name Raven too. I'm in a bird mood apparently. Laura and I had flower names before we were born. Again, congrats.

Carolyn said...

Yippee! I'm so happy for you guys! Congratulations!

Blasphemous Homemaker said...

That is wonderful news! I am very excited for you guys and your little miracle!

katef said...

oh what great news!!
Wishing you a wonderful pregnancy... and I like Eagle too! :)

Mallory said...

SUPER CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Wow, that is great! I think I get almost ridiculously excited about other people's pregnancies. But, I just love it so much! Hurrah!

And I LOVE the nickname Lynx! I like Hawk, too. But Lynx is just way cool.

Veronica said...

Hello! You don't know me, but I found your blog through my cousin-in-law Mallory. I really enjoy reading your blog you have a lot of good insights. I have been "blog stalking" you for a while...not in a creepy way I I hope at least). I am LDS and enjoy reading your blog. I just wanted to wish you contratulations with your pregnancy and I hope everything turnes out fantastic.

Christa said...

congratulations! I wish you all the best!

Carrie said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! I am so soooo happy for you! How exciting!

I vote for Otter. I think it is cute, even if it isn't that high up on the food chain.

Memories for Life said...

Super exciting news!!!
I'm going with Tiger...they're so cute as cubs...but still high on the food chain..hehehe :)

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

I vote for Tiger - and since I'm a November baby my vote should count extra!!! Do you know when in Nov. yet? Or is it still too early?

iceburgindian said...

Oh Jenni! I am so, so happy for you!I hoping and praying for you that all will be well and that you will have an easy and enjoyable pregnancy!!

kmsw said...

oh, goody. I get to be a great aunt again. :)

Anonymous said...

Clearly you've never been Den Mother - your next LO has to be Bobcat! (Unless you consider a 'Webelo' an animal - which they usually are, but not sure they're worthy of emulating!)

Anyway, lots of sticky thoughts for you and Bobcat!

SisuGirl said...

OH. MY. GOSH.

Jenni, I just freaked out on my friend on the phone because I am so glad, and excited for you and Dave. YAY!!!! So majorly YAY!!

Anonymous said...

aww congratulations!i really hope u enjoy this pregnancy too :)

Shell Mitchell said...

Congrats! November babies rock - hope you get a scorpio:)

nicole said...

Woo-hoo! I'm so excited for you! That's the greatest news! :)

Brandi said...

I'm so happy for you!!! Congratulations!

uniquecommodities said...

Congrats! I pray you have a safe and healthy pregnancy! All the best to you and yours!

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...