Sunday, March 8, 2009

In Which I Change My Mind and Knit Something I Never Thought I'd Knit

Last fall I traded on etsy to get this gorgeous handspun yarn called "Autumn Fire" (the photos really don't do justice to the brilliant colors).
I knew I wanted to use it to make something for me, but I couldn't decide what...first I was going to make a scarf, but being handspun yarn that bulky ball didn't have that much yardage on it (only about 100yds between the two balls), and I was only a couple of inches into the scarf when I realized that I would run out of yarn long before I had the length of scarf I wanted. So I frogged that and went back to thinking...
Finally I settled on this:
It's just a simple 1x1 rib knit in the round (for those of you who understand knitting lingo) and voila, warm ears even when my hair is up! Hats always seem to pull up and leave the lower half of my ears exposed and cold, but this keeps the entire ear warm. Plus it is ever so pretty. ☺


So, I have to confess, pretty much right up until this last month when I started making this thing I always thought they were kinda corney. I mean, why make a hat with no top, right? But then I was getting frustrated with hats not working when I wanted to put my hair up and realized that this sort of thing has a place.
I still don't get fingerless gloves though. I mean, really, isn't the point of a glove to warm your fingers? So why make it with no fingers? And if you're going to do it, why call it a 'fingerless glove' shouldn't it be called a 'wristwarmer'?

5 comments:

Mae said...

Very nice! I actually have become a fan of ear warmers. There are some times when a hat is too warm (usually because you're exercising) but your ears still get cold.

I also own a pair of fingerless gloves which I love. Most of the time I wear my whole gloves. But when you're working outside farming, you NEED your fingers free. But if it's cold enough, you're happy to compromise between dexterity and warmth. Kind of like how a vest for the hands. But I'm assuming you see vests as superfluous too. That's ok! I see most clothing as superfluous. I just will never get it!

TiLT said...

great looking hat - love that yarn!

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

Great looking ear warmer! My Mom likes 'em too :) They don't stay on my head >_>

Memories for Life said...

That's great! I use these all the time. They don't mess up your hair quite like a hat does either.

uniquecommodities said...

lovely hat!

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...