Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Business of Being Born

I know that for most of my readers, I am preaching to the choir... but if you have not heard of this movie, I HIGHLY recommend it. I have been hearing about it for a while, but I finally watched it tonight. I am SO glad that somebody finally made something like this! It discusses some of the history of birth in the United States, and how we got into the mess we are in now. It has footage of several awesome births (most at home), and has interviews with many parents and professionals, including Michael Odent, MD; Marsden Wagner, MD; and Ina May Gaskin.

I will give the disclaimer that this movie has some strong language and birth nudity (including breasts), and also shows a cesarean section, which is graphic in its own way.

"The Business of Being Born" is available on netflix (to rent or view on the site if you have an account), and can also be seen at www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com.

To give you a little taste, here are some quotes from the movie:
"You're going to be transformed by your birth, like it or not." (a midwife)
"Many people have discribed birth as a rite of passage, and it is certainly a life-altering experience. It can be beautiful, incredible, life-altering experience, or it can be a devistating, traumatic, scarring experience." (a mother)
"If you really want to normalize birth, then the best thing to do is get the he** out of the hospital." (Marsdon Wagner, MD)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chills just thinking about it!

sara said...

That quote by Marsdon is one of MY favorites too!

Jessica said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just watched this from Netflix online and really liked it! I have to say, I appreciate the fact that they show one of a few instances in which a c-section is necessary while also revealing the fact that the vast majority of c-sections are not necessary. I could go on and on, but I'll just leave it at that.

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...