Thursday, February 21, 2008

Quirky Thursday--Got Water?! (updated)

Another quirk to share with the world...
I do not drink milk. I don’t really object to milk, I'm not vegan, I'm not allergic or even lactose intolerant. I just don’t drink it. I eat butter, ice cream, cheese, and yogurt. I use milk in cooking, in my cocoa, on my cereal, but I can’t stand it straight out of a glass. With my last pregnancy I was working hard on drinking lots of water to stay properly hydrated, so I just never had any room for milk, and I guess I just got out of the habit…Hubby is entirely supportive of drinking water, but thinks I’m odd to not want milk at least with brownies or cookies…so I tried a few ounces of it last month with brownies—it was disgusting.
Upon consideration, while I find nursing a perfectly wonderful thing, weaning is also a natural part of the cycle, and all mammals I know of give up milk sometime during childhood...except humans. We just start drinking some other mammals' milk... I'm not saying that I see this as a bad thing, because actually I'm not sure what I think. I have just observed....

For what it's worth, we were drinking local, organic, and even raw when I finally gave up milk. I didn't like milk at all as a child, but in my pre-teens through young adulthood I drank a LOT of it. Then I developed a milk intolerance (as in, it turned my stomach) during one of my pregnancies. I could eat yogurt and cheese, but plain milk (even just the little bit on cereal) made me feel really ill. So I stopped drinking it (I won't touch psudo-milks like soy milk, especially when pregnant...but I'll have to blog about the evils of soy some other time!). Even after that pregnancy I never drank as much as I had before...I didn't have that intolerance with subsequent pregnancies, but with this last one I was working so hard on drinking water (summer in Utah!) that I didn't have any room left to drink milk...and you know, I just never re-developed the habit!



On a somewhat related note, if you haven't visited my cooking blog, you might want to...here are some photos of recipes that have gone up lately...

3 comments:

Mae said...

When did you stop drinking milk? I seem to recall you buying the gallon while I bought my quart or half gallon of accidophilus. I have since stopped drinking milk for the same reason as you. Hence my "I love my Cuties" blog posting.

In fact, a couple days ago I got a bottle of chocolate cow's milk and even it tasted disgusting. I'm too used to my chocolate "Silk" soy milk. They are in drink box sizes and don't have to be refridgerated. And are really cheap at Costco so I fill my trunk with them for lunches on the go.

Anonymous said...

Those look great, I'll have to go check out the recipes.

We switched to local organic milk a few years ago. We drink about twice as much as we used to- it tastes that much better!

Anonymous said...

Humans are the only mammals that still drink milk in adulthood, but I'm not convinced that makes us weird... Maybe it's just that no other mammal has figured out how to domesticate and milk another mammal. Think about it like this, what mammal do you know of wouldn't drink milk as an adult? Cats still love it, dogs enjoy licking up the kitchen floor after a spill... So maybe we're not strange we have just figured out how to keep getting it!!

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...