Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Babies (the movie)

I just saw this posted over at Stand and Deliver, and I definitely want to see it. It's a documentary (coming this spring) which follows four babies through their first year of life: Ponijao (in Namibia), Mari (in Tokyo), Bayer (in Mongolia), and Hattie (in San Francisco). The site says that the film "joyfully captures on film the earliest stages of the journey of humanity that are at once unique and universal to us all."

(If the trailer doesn't work for you, you can see it at the movie site)

Based on the trailer I think it will be interesting to note the different cultural habits (birth practices, breastfeeding, babywearing, etc) and their differing effects on the kids. After all, I've chosen some "non-mainstream" things (non-mainstream in the USA at least) because I believe they are the best things for my kids and family. However I'm curious to observe those behaviors in cultures where they are mainstream (for example extended breastfeeding is standard in Mongolia).

4 comments:

Christa said...

that looks adorable!!

BonnieKaye said...

Looks awesome. My husband served his mission in Mongolia. It's funny to hear him tell how in the middle of a discussion a young boy ran over to his mom, pulled up her shirt, and started eating. Yeah, a little different for these parts, but it makes sense for that culture.

Carrie said...

That looks so neat! Can't wait

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to see the film!

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...