Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Twinkle Twinkle Little What?

Sometimes when I am putting him to sleep, Bear likes me to sing to him (other times he wants me to play a CD or even just "shhhh mommy," but sometimes he likes me to sing). As most toddlers do, he likes repetition and familarity. His favorite song for me to sing to him is "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."
Twinkle twinkle little star
How I wonder what you are

Up above the world so high

Jesus put you in the sky

Twinkle twinkle little star
Look how beautiful you are
(this version courtesy of Jr Asparagus and the veggietales)


The problem with twinkle twinkle of course is that, even switching between the original and Jr's variation, I can only sing it so many times before my brains start melting out my ears. If you have kids, I'm sure you've been there... so a couple of weeks ago I started shaking things up...
Twinkle twinkle little Bear
You have lots and lots of hair

That's good cuz if you were bald

You would look really funny

Twinkle twinkle little Bear

Go to sleep please with your hair

(you understand of course that I make these up as I sing them. Sometimes they rhyme, sometimes they do not, usually they are pretty cheesy, but occasionally they are positively brilliant.)
One night (after a dozen verses about Bears, Wolves, both kids real names, dogs, stars, moons, etc) I sang something different
Twinkle twinkle little fish
Swimming in a little dish

Please do not fall out of there

You would drown in all the air

Twinkle twinkle little fish

Stay inside your little dish

Bear adored this one. For the next week straight he would get mad if I sang twinkle anything else, he just wanted "Twinkle fish!" (He got daddy to sing twinkle fish--daddy sang about a fish on a dinner dish...clearly we think about fish in different ways!)
Well, this week he's on to something new, only this time it didn't come from me. The other night I asked him if he'd like mommy to sing, and he said "sing twinkle" I said ok and started into a rendition of twinkle fish. He stopped me and said "NO! sing twinkle potato."


Go visit Tiny Talk Tuesday for more posts of the funny things our tiny ones (and not-so-tiny ones) say.

4 comments:

uniquecommodities said...

God to love the little ones! Enjoy every moment! They grow up awfully fast!

Mae said...

Very cute! I love how well they're able to grasp language, even at such a young age. Nephew #3 likes to put in requests (actually, demands) for what Old Mc Donald has on his farm. Often times it's TV's, basketballs, and hairbrushes.

I also made up a "Tinkle Tinkle little boy" when he was potty training. He thought it was hilarious but I'm not entirely sure if it helped the process...

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Oh my goodness - you are so creative!

Hope you got a potato song ;)

Happy TTT!

TiLT said...

I love the twinkles!!!
Now I want to paint twinkle fish! I think my son would like your versions :)

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...