Friday, September 26, 2008

A postscript...

For those who didn't know (haven't read Bear's birth story) I gave birth in a hospital, with an OB. That was what felt like the right choice at the time.
I'm very pro homebirth, although I don't know if that will be in my future...I hope to have my next child with a midwife at an independent birth center, but will just take each baby on a case-by-case basis.
Anyway, after some of the responses to my prior post, I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not anti-hospital, nor even anti-intervention. I'm just anti-routine-intervention. I appreciate that it's difficult to stand up to hospital policy--I did choose my hospital and OB very carefully (there were three hospitals closer to me than the one I actually went to). I did have a doula. I had a detailed birth plan, and, well, if you read my blog very often you know I can be opinionated and stubborn to a fault. My hospital experience was not perfect (there were a couple of things I would change if I did it again), but for the most part it was very good--certainly better than many of the stories I've heard. I give the credit to choosing the right provider and location, and to praying a lot.

No comments:

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...