Monday, September 29, 2008

Go read a banned book!

It's the American Library Association's Banned Book Week.
I will be the first to say that there are some books (yes, often found on banned lists) that I don't want my kids to read--books which are sexually explicit or have vulgar language for example. That said, I respect the right of authors to write whatever they like, and I think it's appropriate and acceptable for those writings to be available in libraries. If my child brings home a book which I feel is inappropriate, I will deal with that on a case by case basis...but I don't want someone else dictating what should or should not be in my public library, just as I do not dictate to other people (or parents) what they (or their children) should read.
So, treasure your right to read freely...go read a banned book! (And even if you don't want to read it yourself, be thankful for your right to read what you want!)

No comments:

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...