Friday, July 2, 2010

Why I'm NOT a "Big Sister"

I am a big sister of course, given that I have 8 younger siblings...
I am a "big sister" in that I have a personality that leads me to reach out to friends and neighbors and women/girls around me and talk with them and teach them things...
But when I finally began to follow through on my desire to be a Big Sister with the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program, I concluded that this is not the time of my life to do that.
The BBBS coordinator was really excited about me when I applied and even more when she interviewed me. However one of the rules of the program is that the Big spends time alone with the Little--no other kiddos, and that they need to meet in a neutral place (not in either home) for the first six months. I get why they have those rules, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my mothering of my children in order to help another child. I WANT to help other children, but not at the expense of my own. There will always be other children who need Big Sisters (sad though that is), and so for now I am focusing on my kids--only my kids--and someday when my kids are grown up and secure and solid on their own, I will have the time and focus to divert to other kids. But now is not that time.

3 comments:

Mae said...

This is interesting to know! I've really wanted to be a Big Sister but I don't trust myself to the commitment. (I'm a commitment phobe now that I have anxiety that randomly pops up.) But like you said, I am a big sister to many kids around me.

Daisy @ Lil Hiccups said...

I completely agree with your decision....I would feel the same way. I couldn't leave my son to be tended to by someone else so that I can be with some other child, when my child and in this case your children still need you. I would leave this for a time in your life when you feel it is right. Does this make you a bad person absolutely not!! It just means you want to be able to give 100% to either your children or the lil sis and in this case your children come first.

:)

Daisy
www.lilhiccups.com

Katrina said...

I totally agree and decided the same thing a couple years ago.

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...