Wednesday, June 24, 2009

20 Weeks - fundal measurements and other belly fun

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
This week you're carrying about 10.5 inches and 10.5 ounces of solid baby-miracle-goodness! Their little delicate bones continue to ossify and toughen while their itsy bitsy finger and toe pads are finishing up. Your little monkey now has teeth buds, although they’re hidden beneath the gum line. And finally! Their limbs have reached their relative proportions—no more alien baby! Their cute pink lips are more defined, and might be helping out in a bit of prenatal thumb-sucking. If you have a little boy, then their tiny testes are descending, though they have not yet passed the abdominal wall. What’s more, eyelashes and eyebrows are also visible. At this point, your little one really looks like a miniature baby—and we do mean miniature as your little swimmer currently weighs a mere eighth of their final birth weight. With half the pregnancy behind you, the most significant gains are yet to come!

pregnancy week by week

Of course, yours truly measured a little ahead at my prenatal appointment two weeks ago (in the latter parts of pregnancy it is common to measure fundal height, which is from the pubic bone to the top of the fundus/uterus. The centimeters of the measurement supposedly should stay about equal with the weeks of gestation, and if there is a consistent major difference between them it could mean a mistake about gestational dates or that there is more than one baby. Thus mothers of twins may make comments such as "I measured 46 weeks along when I delivered" even though they delivered at 38 weeks.) At my 18wk appointment, I measured 21cm, or "21 weeks." I measured exactly "on schedule" at every appointment with Bear, but I theorize that now that my belly has been out there once, it's obligingly stretching a little faster this time (which is common for subsequent pregnancies). I'm not the least bit worried about it, but do find it an interesting observation.
And then there are stretch marks...but I posted about those last week!

Oh, and since we're talking about bellies, yes, here's mine (sorry I never got one in at the 17ish week post...this photo is from 19 wks)
(every mama needs a leopard print maternity shirt, don't you think?!)

6 comments:

SisuGirl said...

That is a perfect shirt for you Jenni :) Its so good to see a picture of you, especially one where you are looking as happy as you do. I wish I could be there to see you in person!

Becky said...

Somehow I knew you'd be one of those super cute pregnant ladies. I'm only a teensy bit jealous, though. The only part of my body that improves when I'm pregnant is my hair. I could totally be in a shampoo commercial. They'd just need to photo shop my hair onto someone normal looking... :)

Glad to hear things are going well!

Arya said...

How exciting...I found after my first my tummy did pop out a lot faster then with my first...Now that I am pregger with number 4 I find that I am stretching out of my jeans way tooo fast for my comfort...

I will have to find a leopard print maternity shirt, because your sooo right every mama needs one!

Katrina said...

Very cute!

* said...

Love the leopard maternity shirt! If I was to get preggers again, I'd so dress more hip! Your tummy is beautiful...and has anyone told you today: you're glowing.

Quinn said...

hello baby.
You are looking great.

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...