Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Songs

Not all Christmas songs are created equal. Some are glorious carols, some are silly, and some are just plain bad. I've always known that I like some better than others, but this year I've been thinking about which ones I like, and why... and you know, it's almost exclusively the sacred carols that I love.
I don't care for the love songs that masquerade as Christmas songs (like Blue Christmas or Winter Wonderland). I don't like the depressing ones (Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas has got to be the worst song ever, did you know that the original lyrics were? They are BAD! But I won't post them here to taint you in case you like the song.) I don't mind Frosty and Rudolph, but given the choice I'll play something a little more grown up like Silver Bells or Bring a Torch Janette Isabella. I don't like the naughty ones (like I'm Getting Nuttin or Santa Baby). I don't like the ones that don't make sense to me (I Saw Three Ships being the classic example). I actually am very tired of We Wish You a Merry Christmas and I have never liked The Christmas Song. How sad am I?!
I guess I am like Mae, who can't turn on the radio at this time of year...

What do I love?
O Holy Night (The chord on "Fall" at the beginning of the chorus gives me chills every time!)
Silent Night (partly because I can sign it...I need to learn it in German though)
What Child is This (which used to bug me because it's not an AABB rhyme scheme, and I was too young to pick up on the ABCBDD pattern, so I thought it was a lame song for not rhyming...but now I get it and I love it)
The Wexford Carol
Carol of the Bells
One King
O Come O Come Emmanuel (I don't know why, since the minor key always feels a little depressing...but I just think it's beautiful)
Still Her Little Child (Ray Boltz)
Mary Did You Know
Mary's Lullabye (Tonight You Are Mine) (a lullabye from Mary, singing that He is a king, and will do and be amazing things...but for tonight he is her little baby)

What are some of your favorites?

1 comment:

nicole said...

I love most of your favorites... especially "What Child is this" and "Carol of the Bells" But I also enjoy some of the light-hearted ones, like "Winter Wonderland" and "Let it Snow". They certainly don't carry as much meaning as the others, but they help put me in a festive spirit. :)

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...