Friday, September 30, 2011

Live Deep

I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately, 
I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, 
To put to rout all that was not life 
and not when I had come to die 
Discover that I had not lived.
~Henry David Thoreau

I will not die an unlived life. 
I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. 
I choose to inhabit my days, 
to allow my living to open me, 
to make me less afraid, more accessible, 
to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. 
I choose to risk my significance; 
to live so that which came to me as seed goes forth as blossom 
and that which came to me as blossom, goes on as fruit.
~ Dawna Markova


The first quote I learned from Dead Poet's Society when I was a teenager. In college I cross-stitched it with a pretty border and hung it on my wall.
The second quote I just found this week.

This is my mindfulness.
This is my serenity.
To live deep, and not in fear.
To love freely.
To take what comes, and make it better.
To be a force for good.
To be the change I want to see in the world.
To go
To do
To be
Mindful
and
Serene

1 comment:

Carrie said...

See Jenni! Even Thoreau likes to suck marrow out of bones. You should try it sometime!

I like that quote too. ;)

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...