Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day

On Valentine's Day this year, I was awakened after a restless and wakeful night (30 minutes before the alarm) by being barfed on.
In my collar, on my sheets, in my hair...
After a start like that, it can only get better, right?

Eagle has been cutting two molars--one is though now--and he had been comfort nursing most of the night. As we both climbed into the bath to wash up I concluded that he'd overfilled his tummy and just overflowed...

As I helped Wolf get ready for school, we went to open the door so he could go catch the bus, and found that it was frozen shut. We all pulled and tugged and tugged and pulled for 15 minutes. We called to our downstairs neighbor/landlord to ask if he would come up and throw a shoulder into it (it's easier to open from the outside), but the neighbors weren't home.
Wolf missed the bus.
We kept pulling and tugging and finally got the door open and Hubby took Wolf to school.

OK, so now we've had our quota of bad and the rest of the day should be all sunshine and rainbows, right?
Alas, it was not to be.
  • The Hubby and I got frustrated with each other over what I guess was a misunderstanding (but felt to me like a failure to follow through on a promise that really mattered to me).
  • I found out that a friend just lost her baby via ectopic pregnancy and was in emergency surgery.
  • When Hubby went to pick up Wolf from school, Wolf said he wasn't feeling well, and then threw up in the parking lot. (He also threw up on his boots--guess who got the fun of cleaning that up? The mommy of course.) We might have credited it to overindulging at the class valentine's party, except that he continued to throw up all evening... And when Wolf is sick, everybody knows precisely how miserable he feels (I'm a very quiet curl-up-in-my-own-corner kind of sickie, and I admit to a lack of patience for moaning come-take-care-of-me-every-8-seconds types).
  • And then Bear didn't finish his dinner so I finished his and overfilled my tummy and then felt unwell for much of the evening (leading to much wondering of whether I would soon be throwing up too...although thankfully I did not).

In so many ways it was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

But in some ways it was a good day.
  • Eagle seemed to feel fine the rest of the day after that initial barf, and Bear (and Hubby and I) felt fine all day.
  • I finally got the Christmas boxes packed up and put away (they've been sitting in the corner of the living room as we've slowly put stuff in/on them as we collected it from around the house, but I hadn't gotten around to packing it all up properly yet).
  • I cut out and halfway sewed a cover/carrier for our little portable/travel DVD player (we've wanted one for a while--with little pockets to hold the cords and headphones and so on). I bought the fabric a month ago--right before we all came down with swine flu for a week--and I've just never gotten to it.
  • I packed up three packages that I've been wanting to send to people and just hadn't gotten around to boxing up yet. (I do need to get them to the post office still, but they are packed up and addressed!)
  • I vacuumed the whole house. This is impressive, because getting the living room AND all the bedrooms clean (at the same time!) in order to vacuum does not happen as often as it should.
  • I did several loads of laundry--the barfy sheets of course, and diapers, but a couple of others too. And I got a lot of laundry folded too. I'm good with washing, but I hate folding. 
  • I was not sick, in spite of eating too many valentine's cookies
  • I finished my novel (the first Wheel of Time book--it's almost 800 pages). 
  • I started a new novel (Call of the Wild--I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I've never read Jack London!)
  • I went to bed at 10, and slept for 10 hours. That can cure so many things. ♥☺

2 comments:

Emily said...

It is so wonderful that you can see the good through the bad! I must admit, I have a very hard time doing this.

ashley @ ashley's adventures in alaska said...

Wow- it must be the week of vomit in Alaska! I'm glad things are looking better for you guys. I've been having one of these weeks, but it's looking up too!

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...