Thursday, September 30, 2010

Releasing Judgment--part 3

The final aspect of releasing judgment has to do with not judging ourselves.

As I said before, I'm not suggesting that we can ignore moral judgments, just the rest of them.
This is also not permission to be lazy or stop trying your best or seeking personal improvements.
What it IS is permission to release self-judgments about your appearance, your family, your likes and dislikes, your talents, your hobbies, your abilities, or what you 'should' be or do.

Don't feel guilty for telling someone that you're not available for a favor when your family needs you.
Don't feel obligated to like the same movies, books, foods, or activities as someone else, or to enjoy a particular thing just because it's 'normal' or 'everyone does.' Do be comfortable with who you are and what you like.

And DO be open to new experiences--do not judge something until you truly know what it is.
My kids know they are not allowed to have an opinion about a food until they have tried it. I hold myself to the same policy.
There are things that scare me--such as heights--but I try to release that fear--that judgment--so that I can still experience things such as standing on the top deck of the Eiffel Tower at sunset.

And you know what is remarkable about releasing judgment? About learning to experience the world neutrally? It's not just the broadening of personal experience, it's the broadening of personal enjoyment.

No comments:

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...