Tuesday, June 19, 2007

"You sould not tell da peoples dey have an assent when dey do not have an assent..."

(if you don't recognize the quote, it's from "Zorro the gay blade" and shared here courtesy of one of my college roommates...)

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland
 

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Boston
 
The West
 
North Central
 
Philadelphia
 
The Northeast
 
The Inland North
 
The South
 
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz


Hmmm, I guess I did live in southern Indiana during the years I was learning to speak...and then in the northwest during most of my youth/young adulthood (the northwest is considered to have the mildest American accent, which is why southeast asians like to send their kids there to learn English...)

They DID neglect to ask me about "both" and "south" both of which I somehow throw an "L" into...as in "bolth" and "soulth." I don't know how or why, but it's one of my little idiosyncrasies. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes you do say boulth! It's pretty funny. I think you also said milk funny, something like melk, but I can't remember. That is hilarious..
Mae

Anonymous said...

"Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta"

Apparently I have a Western accent...big surprise there. Although I do tend to pick up words/sounds super quickly. Which is why I sound like a Canadian sometimes with words like garberator.
Mae

Jenni said...

My dad says 'melk' so we'll blame that one on him...
At least I don't say "baeg" instead of "bag," right?

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...