Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Not My Laundry Day


Just in case you got the idea into your head that I was some kind of Laundry Queen, let me set your mind at rest--I am not. I have been taught how to excell at this...but I don't actually do it very well. Last night, at 9pm, I realized that the load I had put in the laundry at 8:30 am was still sitting in the washer...still wet, and now a little, erm, special smelling... I had to run it through another rinse before I could move it to the drier (at nearly 10pm) and I didn't go collect the clean clothes until this morning.
This is a normal occurance at my house. I SHOULD do the single-laundry-day plan, because then i'd keep it moving, but I do the one-load-a-day-on-some-days-and-two-loads-on-other-days-and-skip-some-days method.
Right now I do have to tromp downstairs into the cold basement to do laundry, but even when the washer was right across from my sewing room I always forgot about the laundry. It's just how I am I guess. (In college I was VERY on top of things, but then I had a regular laundry day and did it all at once...)
I have regularly been known to grab the huge heap of clean clothing and pile it on my sewing desk so I could climb into bed at night. I also follow the principle of "if it won't wrinkle, there's no need to fold it" and so there are more than a few clothing drawers in our house that are just stuffed, not stacked. Hey, the stuff is clean, and this is faster.

By the way, as a postscript to my other laundry post...I wanted to add the comment that I am NOT a fan of having everyone do their own laundry. I think each person should learn to do laundry, yes--but they can learn by helping with the family loads. If you have each person do their own, then 1--they need more clothing to be able to make a whole load with only their stuff. 2--more loads need to get run in a week (taking more time, using more soap and water, etc). 3--unsupervised children washing laundry is more likely to result in pink socks and shrunken sweaters....let them learn by helping you, rather than dropping them in to swim on their own.

No comments:

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...